Subject: Re: Undefined PLT symbol "__stat30" (symnum = 44)
To: Bill Stouder-Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org>
From: Kenneth Freidank <kennethcf@earthlink.net>
List: current-users
Date: 09/27/2007 01:35:50
Thanks for all the insights and help.
1)  I went to box B, and switched my kernel back to the factory
distribution 3.1, and rebuilt the tools for 3.1 from a 3.1 box.  Tools
built fine.
./build.sh -U tools

2) From box B, I tried to install the distribution I had previously
built on box A 4.99.19.  So I'm running 3.1 on box B and
./build.sh -O /usr/obj -D /usr/destdir -x -U install=/
(/usr/obj & /usr/desdir are NFS mounted to my 4.99.19 box A)

The base installed on box B, then everything fell apart.

mkdir quit working, ls quit working, so I started over, reformatted and
reinstalled 3.1

 From my native and freshly installed 3.1, with my /usr/src directory
NFS mounted, I am building 4.99.31.  This should work, but it is taking
me forever and a day.  I wish I had known more about the distribution
sets.  I thought the tools, once compiled in a 3.1 environment, would be
able to access and install the 4.99.31 userland built on my 4.99.19
system, but it didn't.  I'll try the tarball approach next time.  Seems
like an awful waste of time having to compile 4.99.31 on my old and slow
system running 3.1.