Subject: Re: RAIDframe questions
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2007 12:29:57
On Sep 20, 2007, at 07:41, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> There is a third option. You can create seperate RAIDframe RAID 1
> volume
> for your swap partition. This will considerably reduce the time
> necessary
> for the parity-rewrite after rebooting with disabling swap.

   Alternatively, could I just set the machine up to swap to the
underlying disks,
rather than a RAID set at all?  I had listed the "swapping to one
underlying
disk" as an option, which has reliability issues.  Is there a way to
specify multiple
swap devices, and have the system "cope" if one of them isn't
available?  I
suppose at least I'd have to reboot, so it wasn't trying to swap to a
failed device
actively, but...

   Hrm.  Too many options.  I guess my new question is "What's the
reason to
swap to a RAID, rather than to underlying disks?"  If the answer is
"when the
individual device(s) you're referencing go away, everything totally
blows
up," then it's clearly not an option.  If things can "mostly work" in
that case,
then it might be workable for me...

   I still need to get the machine to crash-dump at all, so.  :-)

                                   - Chris