Subject: Re: RAIDframe questions
To: Matthias Scheler <tron@zhadum.org.uk>
From: Chris Ross <cross@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 09/20/2007 11:57:49
On Sep 20, 2007, at 07:41, Matthias Scheler wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 04:10:39PM -0400, Chris Ross wrote:
>>   b) Have swap on raid0b
>> 	This means the above issue is in effect, but swapping will work if
>> 	one
>> 	of the disks fails, and the RAID is running in degraded mode, right?
>
> There is a third option. You can create seperate RAIDframe RAID 1
> volume
> for your swap partition. This will considerably reduce the time
> necessary
> for the parity-rewrite after rebooting with disabling swap.

   Ahh.  Yeah.  I could see that.  So, instead of making the
component disks
have one big RAID partition, make one big one and one small one
(for swap).  Set up raid0 and raid1, and swap onto raid1?  I'd have to
manually tell the machine that it's swap was in an usual place, but it
would certainly work.  I'll have to consider that for just the reason
you mention...

                       - Chris