Subject: Re: X11 not building these days?
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: Robert P. Thille <list-netbsd-current-users@rangat.org>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2007 15:25:38
John Nemeth wrote:
> } Where should I look for documentation detailing the X11_TYPE options?
>
>      I'm not sure where it is documented, but as others have mentioned,
> it is for pkgsrc.  X.org in base is being deprecated in favour of
> modular X.org in pkgsrc.

That's helpful information (I'm setting up a new EPIA system to replace
my Cobalt system on 3.99...)

>      This is covered reasonably well in the blog entry at
> http://wiki.netbsd.se/How_to_install_modular_Xorg .  I don't know where
> or if, official documentation is.

That looks really useful for getting X-org from pkgsrc running, but it
doesn't really help me make the decision between x11 from the base
system, or X-Org modular from pkgsrc.

Is X-org Modular stable enough these days?  For a bare-metal bring-up
with Xorg, should I still build x11 using build.sh, but not install the
sets, or not even bother?

Thanks,

Robert

--
Robert Thille                7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753    Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560     Cell: 707.217.7544