Subject: Re: NICs with 4 ports
To: Martti Kuparinen <martti.kuparinen@iki.fi>
From: Joseph A. Dacuma <jadacuma@ched.gov.ph>
List: current-users
Date: 09/10/2007 19:53:30
> Hi,
>
> I need 8 ethernet interfaces on one of our hosts and the easiest would be
> to use
> two quad port NICs. Is e.g. Intel PRO/1000 PT supported in NetBSD 4.0 or
> 4.99.x?
> If not, are there any other quad port NICs which support gigabit ethernet?
>
> Martti

Hello Martti!

Have you checked on this device? This quad-port device is PCI/PCI-x and
not PCIe:

http://www.iphase.com/products/hardware_software/products_hwsw_product_details.cfm/1/2/379

It uses Broadcom's BCM5704C 10/100/1000Base-T controller with integrated
transceiver. Im not sure if it will work perfectly with the current bge
driver. But from the manual, bge supports BCM570x family.

I have no major problems (data loss/corruption) with the bge driver yet.
With the exception of dma read modebits: 0x     3fe message I encounter
when booting. BTW, mine are both onboard single and dual port types.

Also, are there any plans to import OpenBSD's trunk(4) interface for link
aggregation?

HTH,
Joseph