Subject: Re: Emulation: selecting emulation root at runtime?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: current-users
Date: 08/24/2007 02:06:14
On Jan 14,  4:24am, =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Joachim_K=F6nig?= wrote:
}
} Now that pkgsrc has a powerful emulation handling infrastructure
} I'd like to know if it is possible to have different emulation roots
} installed in parallel (for a given emulation, e.g. linux) and select
} the emulation root for running a foreign binary at runtime, e.g.
} having
}
}   /emul/suse9
}   /emul/suse10
}   /emul/debian-sarge
}   /emul/debian-etch
}   ...
}
} and let the emulation root be specified at runtime, e.g. by an
} enivronment variable (LINUX_EMUL_ROOT?). From looking
} at the sources, this does not seem to be possible, but I might
} have overlooked it.
}
} Would be easy to add such a functionality or is the fixed emulation root
}  hardwired in many places?

     Inside the kernel...  The kernel looks in /emul/<emulated OS>, so
you would have to somehow convince the kernel to have a per binary
emulation root.

}-- End of excerpt from =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Joachim_K=F6nig?=