Subject: SoC: Second ATF preview
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Julio M. Merino Vidal <jmmv84@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/20/2007 21:35:50
Hello,

Following my "First ATF preview"[1] e-mail, I have uploaded[2] new
snapshots of NetBSD-current with ATF[3] merged into it.  I have used
the first public release of ATF, 0.1[4], for this build.  It has been
released today to conclude the development of ATF as part of Summer
of Code 2007.  All further code will be outside of the scope of SoC.

As stated in the first preview: At the moment I have only uploaded
releases for the machines I can try, but if you really want to use
these on some other specific platform, drop me a note and I'll
prepare a release build for it.

For the best experience, install these releases from scratch -- using
a virtual machine is recommended because re-upgrading this
installation to newer previews won't be painless (no management of
obsolete files, etc.).  Be sure to select the 'tests.tgz' set in
sysinst.  Then, once the system is installed and minimally
configured, you can inspect the contents of /usr/tests, and run 'atf-
run | atf-report' in that directory.  afterboot(8) has been updated
with more details.

In case you want to upgrade a machine to these releases, you can
follow the traditional procedure, but don't forget to install the new
tests.tgz set.

Further development is now open to contributors, so feel free to
help!  All development will happen on the atf-devel[5] mailing list
from now on, so feel free to join.

Oh, and you also have an ATF package in pkgsrc/devel/atf in case you
just want to try the core component without messing your current
system :-)  You won't get the NetBSD-specific regression tests, though.

Enjoy!

1: http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/2007/08/08/0000.html
2: ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/misc/jmmv/NetBSD-atf-merged/
3: http://www.NetBSD.org/~jmmv/atf/
4: http://www.netbsd.org/~jmmv/atf/news.html#20070820-atf-0-1-released
5: http://www.netbsd.org/~jmmv/atf/news.html#20070818-atf-devel-ml-
created