Subject: Re: spdmem works for a nForce 3 chipset
To: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2007 12:45:03
--SkvwRMAIpAhPCcCJ

On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 07:11:45PM +0200, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:38:46 -0500
> "Jonathan A. Kollasch" <jakllsch@kollasch.net> wrote:
>=20
> > What exactly is the point of this code?
>=20
> It is useful to be able to tell what kind of memory a remote system has
> without having to ask someone at the datacenter to pop the lid.
> Especially when memory comes in a huge variety of speed grades.
>=20
> > What is wrong with seeprom(4)?
>=20

There is no man page at the moment, I suppose I should see about
throwing one together.   It's a driver for generic AT24xxx compatible
I2C EEPROMs.  See src/sys/dev/i2c/files.i2c and src/sys/dev/i2c/at24cxx.c
It provides character device access to the device.

At the very least, one should see if code could be shared.

> Not sure what this is.
>=20
> > Why is this decoding being done in kernel space?
>=20
> The raw spd data is available to userspace, if someone wants to add
> tools for that. The code that decodes and prints this adds less
> than 2000 bytes of raw instructions and data and I thought it was
> neat to have something in the dmesg. Besides it is not currently
> enabled in any kernel.
>=20
> -Tobias
=20