Subject: Re: spdmem works for a nForce 3 chipset
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Tobias Nygren <tnn@NetBSD.org>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2007 19:11:45
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 11:38:46 -0500
"Jonathan A. Kollasch" <jakllsch@kollasch.net> wrote:

> What exactly is the point of this code?

It is useful to be able to tell what kind of memory a remote system has
without having to ask someone at the datacenter to pop the lid.
Especially when memory comes in a huge variety of speed grades.

> What is wrong with seeprom(4)?

Not sure what this is.

> Why is this decoding being done in kernel space?

The raw spd data is available to userspace, if someone wants to add
tools for that. The code that decodes and prints this adds less
than 2000 bytes of raw instructions and data and I thought it was
neat to have something in the dmesg. Besides it is not currently
enabled in any kernel.

-Tobias