Subject: Re: ath0 timeout clues?
To: Steven M.Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 08/18/2007 09:05:45
--Apple-Mail-34-829231662

On 17-Aug-07, at 21:32 , Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> For the last several weeks, I've had trouble at home with my ath0
> interface.  (My house network uses WEP because until very recently,
> one
> of the laptops ran 3.1, which did not have WPA.)  Specifically, I saw
> constant
>
> 	ath0: device timeout (txq 1)
>
> messages and constant hangs of the interface -- I had to ifconfig it
> down/up to restore functionality.  I especially had trouble with
> longer
> tranmissions, though I don't know if it was the number of packets or
> the packet size that did it.

Same problem here.  See the thread " ath(4) packet loss problem" on
current-users starting July 11th.

The problem appears more pronounced in low traffic situations. A
single ping process active on the link (ie. no traffic other then
the ICMP echo requests and replies) will see heavy packet loss and
the device timeout.  As soon as you start other network traffic, the
packet loss goes down.

--
     aew

--Apple-Mail-34-829231662