Subject: Re: Obsolete files?
To: Quentin Garnier <cube@cubidou.net>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/2007 22:45:04
Quentin Garnier skrev:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 11:58:02AM +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>> Quentin Garnier skrev:
>>> It won't remove lib<lib>.major, but removing lib<lib>.major.minor is
>>> fine.
>> In a way, I'd agree. But if some nuthead links agains an explicit
>> version of the shared library, things will break for that nuthead. I'm
>> not sure that's a good idea.
>
> Said nuthead will also have his specific /bin/sh which gets
> automatically replaced and so on.
>
> Should we really care about nutheads that are not careful?  You have all
> the rights to be a nuthead, but it's either you use medication or you
> stay aware that any automated process has a level of expectations about
> what it is manipulating.  The user is expected to change stuff in /etc,
> not anywhere else.  If he does, he's on his own.

Whoa! What I'm talking about is a nuthead who might have written quite a
lot of his own programs, which are dynamically linked against a shared
library, and that would be a shared library with both the major and
minor version number registred.
Now, if he were to have linked it static, things would work just fine
when he upgrades, but if he linked it dynamic, he'd be borked, since we
remove shared libraries, because we think that noone will need them. I'm
questioning if that is a wise conclusion.
It don't have anything to do with anything else in the NetBSD
distribution, so don't bring /etc, and other parts of the parts
delivered by NetBSD into it.

	Johnny

email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books