Subject: Re: problem with WPA/802.11i and dhclient
To: Brett Lymn <blymn@baesystems.com.au>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/23/2007 10:38:31
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 10:23:51PM +0930, Brett Lymn wrote:
> I have just changed my wireless network over from using WEP to WPA.  I
> have managed to get the WPA working ok, I have network connectivity
> now apart from one issue[1] but I seem to have worked around that.
> The problem that does have me stumped is getting a DHCP address.  When
> I was using WEP I could get a DHCP address from my server without an
> issue but with WPA it never succeeds - it looks like dhclient(8) does
> not allow enough time for the WPA negotiation to finish after it
> brings the wireless interface up before it decides to send a packet
> and then gives up on the whole process due to getting no replies.  I
> have looked at the protocol timings in dhclient.conf(5) but none of
> them seem to be what I want.

back before /etc/rc.d/wpa_supplicant existed, and I was running wpa_supplicant
from /etc/ifconfig.xxx, I "fixed" this by simple putting a "!sleep 5" line
in /etc/ifconfig.xxx.

Now, maybe just throwing in an extra script in rc.d that sleeps, with
"REQUIRE: wpa_supplicant" and "BEFORE: dhclient", would work.

eric