Subject: Re: gpt on NetBSD_4.0BETA2
To: NetBSD current-users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Wrede <andreas@planix.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/21/2007 12:40:43
--Apple-Mail-2-570413775

On Jul 20, 2007, at 18:56 , Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 20, 2007 at 05:23:19PM -0400, Andreas Wrede wrote:
>>  I am trying to use gpt to create a GUID partition table on a 3TB
>> Xserve
>>  RAID:
>>
>>  # gpt create /dev/sd0d
>>  gpt: unable to open device 'sd0d': Invalid argument
>>
>>  I assume this because in sys/dev/scsipi/sd.c does not set the
>> properties.
>>  In -current, rev 1.260 of sd.c adds sd_set_properties().
>> (4.0BETA's sd.c is
>>  at rev 1.258).
>>
>>  Is that all that's needed to get gpt to work on sd(4) type
>> devices? If so,
>>  maybe that change can be pulled up to the 4.0 branch?
>
> Yes, a backport is trivial, I've actually done it.  I don't see why
> it couldn't
> go into netbsd-4.

Thanks - I'll go ahead then..

> Also, you may want the appropriate gpt stuff for dk in the kernel:
>
> options DKWEDGE_AUTODISCOVER
> options DKWEDGE_METHOD_GPT

Ok.  I guess, without it, I have to re-run the dkctl .. addwedge
commands?

BTW, pseudo-device   drvctl is only present in the ALL kernel and the
DKWEDGE_... options are missing completely.  Should GENERIC not have
drvctl? And the commented-out options?

Also missing is the drvctl(4) man page, which is referenced from
drvctl(8).

--
     aew

--Apple-Mail-2-570413775