Subject: Re: Adding URLs to CVSWeb diffs for source changes
To: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 07/19/2007 07:51:30
On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 07:43:33PM -0700, John Nemeth wrote:

>      Another thing to consider is messages with multiple commits.  With
> things like gcc imports, a single message can have more then 1,000
> items.  We probably don't want to add 1,000 diffs to a message.  Also,
> when new files are added, they can be fairly lengthy.  The question is
> what should be the cutoff point in adding diffs to messages?  Some
> ideas are:
>
> - no diffs for messages with multiple files
> - diffs for messages with 5 or less files
> - diffs for the first 5 files for messages with multiple files
>
> - don't include new files in messages
> - only include the first X number of lines
> - skip the licence at the beginning of the file and then include X lines

Personally I think that most of the diffs are really too long for
to mail list.  Even those for a single file can easily be hundreds
of lines long.  Also remember that the emails get added to the gnats
database - and that doesn't want the the change added.
(And the main archives - they would explode in size.)

OTOH it might be worth adding the 'lines changed' count that appears
in the cvs log, since it indicates the size of the change.

I'd also put the file list below the commit message.

OTOH I probably wouldn't fiddle there at all :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk