Subject: Re: Adding URLs to CVSWeb diffs for source changes
To: David Brownlee <abs@NetBSD.org>
From: Antti Kantee <pooka@cs.hut.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 07/18/2007 15:19:04
On Wed Jul 18 2007 at 13:10:59 +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2007, Zafer Aydogan wrote:

> >>I don't like it. This way we will increase the size of the commit mail
> >>and it will be not easier to get the real cvs command, depending on where
> >>you place the html urls.
> >>Think about many changes where this would increase the size by a 1/3 or
> >>even more.
> >>
> >>Bernd
> >>

> >I would like it very much. I wanted to request this feature myself a
> >long time ago.
> >I've subscribed to source-changes and it would be a real benefit to
> >see what has changed via cvsweb, by clicking on the link in the commit
> >log. It is even useful for browsing by web in mail-index.
>
> 	If people are really dead set against adding this to the email
> 	an alternative would be to provide an <input> box on
> 	cvsweb.netbsd.org into which you could paste one the the
> 	cvs rdiff lines from the commit message to see the relevant
> 	change

I support adding them.  Having to paste the lines around takes away the
convenience, e.g. opening multiple diffs to tabs.  The size argument
is silly and if you add the links to the end, it doesn't even disturb
people who want to get to the cvs rdiff links.

The only downside I see is that cvsweb doesn't (IIRC) update quite as
fast as anoncvs, so there'll be delay before the link works.

--
Antti Kantee <pooka@iki.fi>                     Of course he runs NetBSD
http://www.iki.fi/pooka/                          http://www.NetBSD.org/