Subject: Re: 4.99.23 fails to boot on sparc64
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Erik Bertelsen <bertelsen.erik@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/14/2007 20:13:33
2007/7/12, Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 04:05:36PM +0200, Erik Bertelsen wrote:
> > NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>
> Oh, and could you also try a newer ofwboot? Just cp /usr/mdec/ofwboot /
> (the change to ofwboot should be unrelated)
>
> Martin

Updating /ofwboot did not help in any visible way.

Latest experiment:

Rebooting with command: boot netbsd.u8
Boot device: /sbus/SUNW,fas@e,8800000/sd@0,0  File and args: netbsd.u8
NetBSD IEEE 1275 Bootblock
>> NetBSD/sparc64 OpenFirmware Boot, Revision 1.10
>> (erik@unidata.h.erikb.net, Sun Jul  8 02:00:04 CEST 2007)
read header short
Failed to load 'netbsd.u8'.

Boot:

Updating sources today and I can (still) boot a completely rebuilt
GENERIC kernel, but a kernel built of GENERIC minus the floppy disk
driver fails (netbsd.u8 above).

diff GENERIC U8
408,416d407
< ## Floppy controller and drive found on SPARCstations.
<
< # need share with the sparc, and everyone else.  needs to use auxio.
< # actually, the ebus version has (will have) direct access to it's AUXIO
< # register space (it is mapped in to fdthree not auxio).
< fdc0  at sbus? slot ? offset ?                # SUNW,fdtwo
< #fdc0 at ebus?                                # fdthree, EXPERIMENTAL
< fd*   at fdc0                                 # the drive itself
<

(and these and previous kernels have been made available to Martin as
described in personal mail).

- Erik