Subject: Re: Atheros AR5008E-3NX chip
To: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
From: Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/11/2007 15:20:03
Jonathan A. Kollasch wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 11:14:52AM -0700, Phil Nelson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>   I just got a new ThinkPad T60 and it has the AR5008E-3NX chip
>> which is not supported by -current.  There is an update to the
>> Atheros hal at www.freebsd.org/~sam and I was wondering if anyone was
>> working on getting the NetBSD support up to that version.
>
> I've heard that it's in the works for later this year,
> at least in FreeBSD-land.
>
> I have a PCI-E AR5006 that needs a slightly newer HAL, but that still
> works with the in-tree driver. (I really should send-pr someday.)
> But I understand the draft-11n parts are somewhat different.

11n support for ath isn't going to happen very soon; I am occupied and
sorting stuff out with Atheros is time consuming.  Best hope is there'll
be 11n support w/o tx aggregation (rx ampdu and amsdu are not an issue).
Having rx but not tx would allow stations to use 11n ap's and still
benefit from the higher tx rates.  But to be honest I'm more interested
in use ath to sniff 11n traffic.

Support for the 2425 parts is in test and should happen soonish.  With
luck support for that will come with a new hal release as opposed to the
test drops I've made that have all had issues making them unsuitable for
general use.

	Sam