Subject: Re: "parked" processes?
To: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
From: Andrew Doran <ad@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 07/06/2007 23:35:42
On Tue, Jun 26, 2007 at 08:40:12AM +0200, Alan Barrett wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> > I just upgraded my laptop to -current from 18 June.  Since then, I've
> > had several instances of (X11) applications hanging.  Two of them, at
> > least, have been blocked on wchan "parked".  Has anyone else seen
> > this?

Did you also upgrade Firefox or just NetBSD?

> I have often had firefox hang like that.  This was firefox-2.0.0.4
> from pkgsrc, running on an i386 laptop with NetBSD-4.99.20, compiled
> on the same laptop with a somewhat older version of -current (probably
> 4.99.16).  According to "ps -s", almost all lwps were "parked", but one
> was waiting for something else (a socket, I think).  Locking the screen
> (via xlockmore) and/or suspending the laptop seemed to have something to
> do with triggering the bad state, but I didn't do any scientific tests
> to verify that hypothesis.
>
> I recompiled firefox and almost all its dependencies on the same version
> of -current that I am running, and haven't seen the problem again.
> This makes me suspect a binary compatibility issue between 4.99.16 and
> 4.99.20.

Not to discount the possibility, but I know of no reason for it to be the
case. There are two possibilities: it is a new bug in NetBSD, or it's a bug
in Firefox.

I haven't seen any behaviour like this recently and as far as I know there
are no remaining synchronization issues in this area but I'll get looking.
If someone could make available to me a coredump from an app in this state,
along with version info (from the system and the app) it would be really
helpful.

Andrew