Subject: Re: ypbind hangs as of current from midday yesterday (kern+user)
To: Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com>
From: Sarton O'Brien <sarton@crebrokers.com>
List: current-users
Date: 07/04/2007 13:21:58
On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 01:12:04 pm Christos Zoulas wrote:
> >> Do you have NIS or DNS enabled for hosts in /etc/nsswitch.conf ? It
> >> could be the cause of the hang. Especially if NIS is enabled and the
> >> hosts involved in NIS startup aren't listed in /etc/hosts (with the
> >> proper names), there will be a deadlock.
> >> Are the hosts in the ypservers map and
> >> /var/yp/binding/<domain>.ypservers properly recorded in /etc/hosts ?
>
> Looks like it is broken... It works if I set the server manually with
> ypserv.
>
> christos

Thank gawd. I thought I was going crazy. I was about to play with hosts and
IPs but my VPN was consistently dropping enough for me to be able to do sfa.

Admittedly I had changed nothing before this problem occured. The only thing I
thought I could try is binding to localhost instead of the ext. IP via a
hosts entry.

Is this an issue with ypserv and not ypbind?

Thanks for your help!

Sarton