Subject: Re: NVIDIA nForce2/3/4 SMBus controller
To: KIYOHARA Takashi <kiyohara@kk.iij4u.or.jp>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/30/2007 16:06:00
Well, I installed the recommended changes (of course, the stuff that you
said to put into pci/pcidevs actually belongs in pci/files !).

It successfully probes the devices.  I'm not sure if it does anything
useful, since I don't have anything to actually access the I2C bus...
I'm not sure if it's supposed to find two SMBus, but this is a dual-CPU
system.

quicky:paul {103} uname -v
NetBSD 4.99.22 (QUICKY (ASUS A8N5X) 2007-06-30 21:39:36 UTC) #106: Sat Jun 30 14:45:28 PDT 2007  paul@quicky.whooppee.com:/usr/obj/objdir/amd64/sys/arch/amd64/compile/QUICKY
quicky:paul {104} dmesg | grep smb
nfsmbc0 at pci0 dev 1 function 1: NVIDIA nForce4 SMBus (rev. 0xa2)
nfsmb0 at nfsmbc0 SMBus 1
iic0 at nfsmb0: I2C bus
nfsmb1 at nfsmbc0 SMBus 2
iic1 at nfsmb1: I2C bus
quicky:paul {105} dmesg | grep 'cpu[[:digit:]] '
cpu0 at mainbus0 apid 0: (boot processor)
cpu1 at mainbus0 apid 1: (application processor)
quicky:paul {106}

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007, KIYOHARA Takashi wrote:

> Hi! all,
>

> I wrote the nfsmb(4) driver for NVIDIA nForce2/3/4 SMBus controller.
> However, it might be difficult for me to verify that this source is
> correct.  I don't have the datasheet of nForce2/3/4, and do not know
> IC of what SMBus is mounted in my machine.
>
> This driver is looked and wrote to drivers/i2c/busses/i2c-nforce2.c of
> Linux.  Can this driver be verified?
>

> You can add below in sys/dev/pci/pcidevs
>
>  # NVIDIA nForce2/3/4 SMBus controller
>  device nfsmbc { }
>  attach nfsmbc at pci
>  device nfsmb: i2cbus
>  attach nfsmb at nfsmbc
>  file   dev/pci/nfsmb.c                 nfsmbc | nfsmb
>

> And to your configuration file
>
>  nfsmbc* at pci? dev ? function ?        # NVIDIA nForce2/3/4 SMBus controller
>  nfsmb*  at nfsmbc?
>  iic*    at nfsmb?
>

> Thanks,
> --
> kiyohara

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Customer Service | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
| Network Engineer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |