Subject: Re: Adding new programs, like tcpdrop (was: CVS commit: src/usr.sbin)
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel C. Sinclair <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/27/2007 20:43:48
On 6/27/07, Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu> wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 18:47:53 -0700
> "Daniel C. Sinclair" <daniel.c.sinclair@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Something I'd like to see added to NetBSD is netcat (nc).  Both Open
> > and Free have had it for a while.  It's one of the most useful network
> > tools and is as fundamental as 'cat'.  Please, someone add it for 4.0!
>
> It's in pkgsrc.

Yes, that's the one I use.  But this is a discussion about adding
programs to the NetBSD proper.  I think netcat is important enough
that it should be in base.tgz.

The pkgsrc netcat is a pain in some situations:  like when I
cross-build into an NFS exported directory and netboot from that, I
have no netcat.  I either have to copy a prebuilt binary to the NFS
export and hope it works with the version of NetBSD that I compiled,
or worse, I have to use pkgsrc on the target platform that's been
netbooted.

Daniel