Subject: Re: "parked" processes?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Alan Barrett <apb@cequrux.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/26/2007 08:40:12
On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I just upgraded my laptop to -current from 18 June.  Since then, I've
> had several instances of (X11) applications hanging.  Two of them, at
> least, have been blocked on wchan "parked".  Has anyone else seen
> this?

I have often had firefox hang like that.  This was firefox-2.0.0.4
from pkgsrc, running on an i386 laptop with NetBSD-4.99.20, compiled
on the same laptop with a somewhat older version of -current (probably
4.99.16).  According to "ps -s", almost all lwps were "parked", but one
was waiting for something else (a socket, I think).  Locking the screen
(via xlockmore) and/or suspending the laptop seemed to have something to
do with triggering the bad state, but I didn't do any scientific tests
to verify that hypothesis.

I recompiled firefox and almost all its dependencies on the same version
of -current that I am running, and haven't seen the problem again.
This makes me suspect a binary compatibility issue between 4.99.16 and
4.99.20.

--apb (Alan Barrett)