Subject: Re: WOL on a Dell PowerEdge 2650
To: NetBSD Current Users <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Peter Eisch <peter@boku.net>
List: current-users
Date: 06/21/2007 22:06:10
On 6/19/07 5:25 PM, "Greg A. Woods" <woods@planix.com> wrote:

> At Fri, 15 Jun 2007 00:15:11 -0500, Peter Eisch wrote:
> Subject: Re: WOL on a Dell PowerEdge 2650
>>
>> On 6/14/07 11:27 PM, "Greg A. Woods" <woods@planix.com> wrote:
> This is normally what I see during a warm boot, though on rare
> occasions it will work OK:
>
> [Fri Jun 15 18:55:50
> 2007]<F5><F5>ESC[cESC[c^@^\<FC>^@^\<FC><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0
> ><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0><E0>
>

>>   My firmware is current too -- I wonder if there's a
>> difference in that.
>
> I think I have version 1.10 of the BIOS -- at least that's what seems to
> show up on the screen.

I've beat around on 3 different 2650's trying different configurations and I
can't replicate the scenario you've described.  In every boot, warm or cold,
the console is predictably solid.

For notes of comparison, my systems have:

    BIOS:  A20
    ESM:   3.35
    Backplane: 1.01

This has been the first class of system that I've had good serial console
experiences.  The 1650's are close and anything before that is a joke.  My
console server is typically a cisco 2509 with a simple config.

Hope that helps,

peter