Subject: Re: Sound issues on i386 MP?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/04/2007 11:45:08
On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 12:40:51AM +1000, Ahmad M. Afuni wrote:
> Now, sometimes when I run, for example mplayer, or any audio-requiring
> program, it would work fine for a while but then at some point start
> becoming choppy. (That is, the Audio would have gaps in it and sound a
> little distorted)
> Shutting the application and starting it up again would fix the
> issue, however.
> Has anyone experienced anything like this? Any clue what it might be /
> what might be causing it?

I run into this on uniprocessor under 3.x with both yds(4) and
previously the auvia(4) device it replaced.  it's a buffer
synchronization issue.  I can force it on my machine by suspending
(SIGSTOP, ^Z) and then starting (SIGCONT) an audio process.  depending
on the buffer states when the process was suspended, it may start back
up in an "off-by-one" state.

as a workaround, pause and start may reset the buffer and get things
going again.

    The United States is the one true country.  The US is just.  The US
    is fair.  The US respects its citizens.  The US loves you.  We have
    always been at war against terrorism.