Subject: Late network interface configuration
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 06/02/2007 08:37:10
   I think I asked this question a year or two ago, but I wanted to
try again.  Is there a "standard" method for bringing up network
interfaces late at boot?  For example, I have a router with a few
interfaces on it, and the primary interface uses dhclient to get an
address from my provider.  I also have a few gre and gif interfaces,
which need the default route (and outside world reach-ability) to be
set up before they configure themselves.  I hadn't been able to find
a way to get the ifconfig'ing of the gre/gif interfaces to be delayed
so it occurred after the dhclient startup.  Is there a "normal" way
to do this?

   (For myself, I'd made an /etc/rc.d/network-late which was copied
from network, but looked at /etc/ifconfig-late.* as the interfaces to
configure.  This worked, but I wondered if there were something built
in to NetBSD (4.0_BETA2 or current) that would do this without me
having to hack up my own rc.d scripts...)

   Thanks!  Appreciate the help.

                                          - Chris