Subject: Re: netbsd-4 hackathon
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Amitai Schlair <schmonz@mkgsrc.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/30/2007 22:33:31
On May 28, 2007, at 1:55 PM, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> So, what happened? I haven't seen a report yet - did the hackathon
> happen,
> were there any results that are worth reporting?

I worked on the pkgsrc bootstrap process on Mac OS X. First, I
persuaded mkbinarykit to generate a Mac-native package. This should
help make bootstrapping on the Mac a point-and-drool affair. Then,
with help from Thor, I persuaded all the bootstrap tools to build as
Universal binaries (i386/ppc/ppc64/x86_64).

We thought we were real cool dudes until Erik actually tried adding a
binary package on his Intel system (using the bootstrap built on my
PowerPC) and uncovered a runtime bug in the Universal pkg_add(1).
It's not fixed yet, and there are probably more such host-vs.target
logic errors. So the Universal stuff is not nearly fully baked, but
the oven's pre-heating.

More Mac pkgsrc goodness is in progress. At some point the hackathon
had to stop, but I haven't. :-)

- Amitai