Subject: Re: Upgrading removes sendmail, breaks system config
To: Darren Reed <darrenr@NetBSD.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/29/2007 19:57:52
At 5:10 Uhr +0000 29.5.2007, Darren Reed wrote:
>On doing an upgrade install, using sysinst, sendmail gets removed but
>/etc/mailer.conf does not get updated, resulting in lots of garbage
>error messages because soemthing cannot find sendmail.

Personally, I go with untaring the install sets (minus {x,etc.tgz}, then
run etcupdate(8) which takes care of mailer.conf among others. There are
complaints about postinstall purging sendmail belongings too aggressive,
though, and I share them.

I've had bad experience with using sysinst for updates years ago, and have
avoided it for the purpose, since.

	hauke