Subject: write(2) returning E2BIG ?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Frank Kardel <kardel@netbsd.org>
List: current-users
Date: 05/27/2007 14:13:40
Hi * !

I am currently trying out a Nokia E65 via the USB data connection in
data-mode.
Reading from the memory card via the phone seems ok. Writing acts pretty
strange:

rsync termitates sometimes on a write(2) call with E2BIG(7). This is not
any of the
documented write(2) error codes. ktrace also documents this fact:

3409      1 rsync    CALL  write(1,0x80e1000,0x40000)
3409      1 rsync    RET   write -1 errno 7 Argument list too long

The file system is mounted -t msdos -o-l,sync. Same failures are
seen without the sync option.

The error happens unpredictably, so several write attempts will get the
data eventually transferred.
OS is -current as of 2007-05-26.  i386/MP  (Athlon 64 X2).

Any ideas - especially how we manage to return E2BIG as write(2) return
code?

Frank