Subject: Re: USB with iPod freezes machine
To: Michael van Elst <mlelstv@serpens.de>
From: Hauke Fath <hauke@Espresso.Rhein-Neckar.DE>
List: current-users
Date: 05/16/2007 00:17:53
At 21:21 Uhr +0000 15.5.2007, Michael van Elst wrote:
>teijo.ronka@gmail.com ("=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Teijo_R=F6nk=E4?=") writes:
>
>>Yes, that's correct.  I know I shouldn't do that, but neither should
>>the machine freeze :)
>
>Indeed, but apparently you have to live with this limitation :)
>
>N.B. it isn't limited to USB.

Sure.

But since the kernel actually knows the USB device has been disconnected,
it could either (nfs hard-mount-like) put any processes to sleep that had
files open there, or (nfs soft-mount-like) fail the accesses, and clean up.
Instead, it spills the beans.

Holes like that in USB support are one of the major reasons why NetBSD is
on the way out in our labs. A machine locking up because you try to use a
USB stick with it - that doesn't fly.

	hauke