Subject: Re: installboot on CURRENT
To: John R. Shannon <john@johnrshannon.com>
From: David Laight <david@l8s.co.uk>
List: current-users
Date: 05/15/2007 18:06:16
On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 09:49:40AM -0600, John R. Shannon wrote:
> After a fresh installation of 4.99.19 (10 May) on a SCSI drive (sd0) the
>  system would not boot reporting no OS.

Exactly what text is output as the error, and what is the previous
output (if any) ?

> I booted off hd0a:/netbsd from a CD and ran:
>
> cp /usr/mdec/boot /boot
> installboot -v -o timeout=5 /dev/rsd0a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffsv1
>
> as indicated in the installboot man page.
>
> The computer still won't boot from the hard drive. What am I doing wrong?

Possiblties:
- sector zero of the disk the BIOS is booting doesn't contain the mbr code
- the root filesystem isn't at the start of the mbr partition
- the bios is passind the boot code the wrong disk number.
- other errors exist :-)

	David

--
David Laight: david@l8s.co.uk