Subject: Strange performance issue with vr0/nfs
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Rhialto <rhialto@falu.nl>
List: current-users
Date: 04/20/2007 22:57:23
My laptop unfortunately has a vr0 as ethernet interface, and right now I
am doing a cross build (i386->VAX) partially over NFS (source from nfs,
objdirs local, destdir on nfs). It appears to be that over time, network
speed goes down a lot.

But if I once in a while switch from X to a text console and back to X,
the performance picks up again.

It might be coincidence that I just do that in parts of the build that
appear slow and then appear fast after the switching, but that seems too
unlikely.  I have a netstat running that shows packet counts and they
typically go up a lot immediately after the procedure.

My previous -current was from a while ago, 2006-12-05, but didn't show
this behaviour. Does it ring a bell with anyone? (Unfortunately I'm
stuck with the vr0...)

-Olaf.
\X/ rhialto/at/xs4all.nl        -- Cetero censeo "authored" delendum esse.