Subject: Re: Hard disk blues on laptops.
To: <>
From: Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz>
List: current-users
Date: 03/19/2007 22:10:15
On 3/19/07, Christos Zoulas <christos@astron.com> wrote:
> In article <9b7438470703191343w537b90f4q29a6004fc94579cb@mail.gmail.com>,
> Cherry G. Mathew <cherry.g.mathew@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On 3/17/07, Cherry G. Mathew <cherry.g.mathew@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I'm wondering how many people on current-users use NetBSD on laptops,
> >> and if so, how many of you have come across the problem I'm facing.
> >
> >So far I got three responses, all neutral. Can't assume there's
> >massive user need for this then. I'll keep using it in any case, and
> >try to keep it up with -current. Won't check it in unless specifically
> >requested.
> >
> >Should the PR be closed ?
>
> Should that be enabled with an option? What do other OS's do?
>
> christos

I guess nobody cares. The disk should be made so that it spins down
properly when the power is removed. So they probably rely on that. I
can also hear unpleasant cracks from speakers or see weird flashes on
the screen. I would bet that if anybody then Apple would care to
remove any unpleasant noises on shutdown. After all they can make the
software fit the hardware or the other way around, and they are into
that cool and sleek stuff.

Thanks

Michal