Subject: iconv problems after update?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>
List: current-users
Date: 03/16/2007 08:43:33
I updated to current from yesterday morning (i386).  gnome hangs on
starting, but I can start some things manually (panel) but not others
(panel applets).  I'm getting messages like:

Window manager warning: Log level 16: Error converting from UTF-8 to STRING: Conversion from character set 'UTF-8' to 'ISO-8859-1' is not supported

The following command seems to work on a netbsd-4 system:

iconv -f utf-8 -t iso-8859-1 .sh_environment

but on my current system produces

iconv: iconv_open(iso-8859-1, utf-16): Invalid argument

I'm updating to rebuild in case this is fixed, but it seems something
is borked in our in-tree iconv support.  My system does not have
pkgsrc iconv.

--
    Greg Troxel <gdt@ir.bbn.com>