Subject: Re: scsibus on recent current?
To: Hans Rosenfeld <rosenfeld@grumpf.hope-2000.org>
From: Johnny Billquist <bqt@softjar.se>
List: current-users
Date: 03/11/2007 15:16:11
--------------060907030104070200020006

Hans Rosenfeld wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2007 at 02:16:16PM +0100, Johnny Billquist wrote:
>
>>The vax port is non-working since a while ago. I know that 4.99.8 is
>>working, but somewhere after that something broke.
>>It hangs after saying
>>"scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle..."
>>
>>This on a 4000/90. Now, looking at some code, this appears to be some MI
>>code, which is called from the asc driver in the VAX. The same MI code
>>is used by a bunch of other platforms as well, such as the Amiga, pmax,
>>Sparc and some others (but not i386, Alpha and other "major" platforms).
>>
>>So I'm curious if others with the asc driver also experiences a hang
>>now, or if it is VAX specific...?
>
> I did a little research into this, but I still have no real idea what
> exactly is causing this.
>
> The scsibus code goes to sleep for 2 seconds, and then the system waits
> in the idle loop forever. I set a breakpoint on Xhardclock, it is hit
> once before scsibus_config() is called but then never again. I suspect
> that there is a IPL problem, or someone clobbered the SCB vector. But
> the latter seems unlikely. I still have to look into this, but I'm
> currently unsure how to check the IPL from the debugger.

I decided to sit down and look a bit more as well.
I haven't traced it down yet, but I think we can skip the MI scsi stuff.
  In fact, I think we can skip the scsi totally.

 From what I can see, it appears we have a problem with the callout
functions in the vax port. If I register a callout, it never gets
called. Either there is something that have broken in the timer
handling, or we're locking out the timer interrupts, I'd guess.
I'll see if I have some more time later tonight to look at this.

Or does anyone know what might have happened recently?

	Johnny

                                   ||  on a psychedelic trip
email: bqt@softjar.se             ||  Reading murder books

--------------060907030104070200020006