Subject: Re: Should tap(4) and etherip(4) really clutter dmesg?
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: George Georgalis <george@galis.org>
List: current-users
Date: 02/26/2007 20:45:06
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 12:50:46AM +0100, Quentin Garnier wrote:
>(Granted, what'd be cool is to be able to set the tap's MAC address
>before it is created.  Oh, well.)

Maybe this is a stupid question, but given my perspective: tap is
like interface promiscuous mode for the purpose of binding local
connections to network media...

is the MAC address ever actually used? eg would a remote openvpn
server know the MAC of a local client tap?

I guess I thought the physical interface mac would be used;
there's no link layer protocol on localhost, right?

// George