Subject: cvs<->perforce merging (Re: the path from nathanw_sa -> newlock2)
To: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@swapsimple.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/16/2007 11:02:17
On Fri, Feb 16, 2007 at 07:53:06AM -0500, Thor Lancelot Simon wrote:
> He's using Perforce, not CVS.  I am in a similar situation with FreeBSD
> at work: this is basically the only thing Perforce does much worse than
> CVS does.  It is possible (typically you keep a //vendor in the depot
> as an ersatz "vendor branch" and integrate from there to the depot
> location where you keep your modified sources) but somehow it always
> seems to mean hours with the Perforce merge tool for even trivial
> changes, particularly since Perforce seemingly cannot be taught to
> ignore any other VCS's keywords.

Some of that could be avoided by checking out with -kk, no?
But then I guess you lose some important information as to what
NetBSD revision of a file you have.

hmm... perhaps using an intermediate cvs repository to do the merges
would make things easier:
	copy checked out files from perforce into cvs working directory
	check those in to cvs main branch as a normal change
	import new netbsd code onto cvs vendor branch
	merge into cvs main branch
	copy merged files back to perforce
It seems like a lot of work either way you do it. :(

eric