Subject: Re: the path from nathanw_sa -> newlock2
To: Mindaugas <rmind@netbsd.org>
From: matthew sporleder <msporleder@gmail.com>
List: current-users
Date: 02/15/2007 10:47:35
On 2/15/07, Mindaugas <rmind@netbsd.org> wrote:
> Bucky Katz <bucky@picovex.com> wrote:
> > That's the whole purpose of this "outcry": Dear NetBSD foundation,
> > please improve the visibility of your process. It's broken. It's
> > preventing you from utilizing resources outside the foundation and
> > it's making NetBSD less attractive as a development platform to those
> > of us who need to base plans on reliable understanding of the
> > technology we intend to deploy.
> I would agree with you, that current communication process should really be
> improved - there are problems with it. It may be good to make some board and
> core reports in public, for example, per quarter of years, announce important
> decisions separately, etc.
> People know this problem. But keep in mind, that it is not easy to make
> communication effective - somone should collect information, somone should
> write a report, not everyone can reply immediatly, etc.
>
> I also agree with Jeremy, that you should be more initiative too. And IRC is
> really not a good place for telling your plans ;)
>
> Hence, one could only regret this communication incident.

However.. is it really a good idea for core to publish/publically
announce every idea and proposal that comes through?  I imagine there
are quite a few that don't make it through to actual commits.

A solution could be to manage proposals like having google soc all the
time.  Kepp them separate and documented with status updates and the
like.

Would this extra work discourage development?

Anyway.. all decisions for core.