Subject: Re: jerky interactive behavior -- a clue?
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
From: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@swapsimple.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2007 14:07:11
On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 02:48:26PM +0000, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
> I believe you were on the right track.  I think I understand the
> problem now.
>
> I had changed my dhclient.conf file to include
>

> 	interface "wm0" {
> 	       media "media autoselect";
> 	}
>
> That meant that any time I was using wireless or EVDO, dhclient was
> still trying to acquire a wired lease.  This in turn meant constant
> ifconfigs to change the media type, and neither dhclient nor the driver

	If that's the cause of the jerky behaviour, then it's not limited
to wm network cards.  I've seen similar stuff when fiddling with vr
network interfaces (VIA VT6105 (Rhine III) 10/100 Ethernet) especially
things like running tcpdump.
	I haven't looked into it, but my guess is there's probably a call to
delay() with interrupts blocked somewhere in the driver.  In contrast,
the aue interface on the same machine was fine.

eric