Subject: Re: USB problems
To: Chavdar Ivanov <ci4ic4@gmail.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 01/29/2007 13:05:41
On Fri, Dec 29, 2006 at 08:27:34PM +0000, Chavdar Ivanov wrote:
> On 12/29/06, Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi> wrote:
> >I'm running -current (i386) and having problems with USB and removable
> >media.  Many attempts to use USB memory sticks or other USB mass storage
> >(like a PDA with a SD card) fail and make NetBSD freeze or become unable
> >to access any disks at all.
>
> It's probably something speciphic to this machine.

I disabled ehci in my kernel, so NetBSD uses ohci driver now - and now
I am able to write to USB mass media without problems (well, so far ;)
while when using ehci every attempt to write to USB memory sticks and
CF cards (in a CF card reader) failed (the tar / cp / whatever process
got stuck and no data was written to the mass media).

dmesg says:

ohci0 at pci0 dev 2 function 0: NVIDIA nForce4 USB Host Controller (rev. 0xa2)
APCF: Picked IRQ 20 with weight 0
ohci0: interrupting at ioapic0 pin 20 (irq 10)
ohci0: OHCI version 1.0, legacy support
usb0 at ohci0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0 at usb0
uhub0: NVIDIA OHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
NVIDIA nForce4 USB2 Host Controller (USB serial bus, interface 0x20,
revision 0xa3) at pci0 dev 2 function 1 not configured

  -jm