Subject: Re: IPv4-mapped addresses in Multicast sockets?
To: Sourath Roy <sourath@gmail.com>
From: Jonathan A. Kollasch <jakllsch@kollasch.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2007 16:01:46
--orO6xySwJI16pVnm

On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 02:26:02PM +0530, Sourath Roy wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a question related to Multicast and IPv4 mapped addresses on AF_INET6
> sockets. Can we use IPv4 mapped multicast addresses alongwith to
> IPV6_JOIN_GROUP? In general does INET6 multicasting allow sockets of
> AF_INET6 communicate over IPv4 multicast addresses?
> Currently when I look into the code, it doesn't seem like considering the
> IPv4 compatible/mapped addresses at all.

That would agree with  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPv4_mapped_address .

It looks like the only portable thing to do is not rely on this feature.
Additionally, Multicast is the last thing I would expect to work using a
translation layer such as this.

	Jonathan Kollasch

--orO6xySwJI16pVnm

--orO6xySwJI16pVnm--