Subject: Re: jerky interactive behavior -- a clue?
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Bernd Ernesti <netbsd@lists.veego.de>
List: current-users
Date: 01/26/2007 06:44:49
On Thu, Jan 25, 2007 at 08:36:53PM -0500, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:
[..]

> I tried running for a while with no network connectivity, i.e., with no
> EVDO card inserted and with ath0 ifconfig'ed down.  The problem still
> occurred.  On a whim, I disabled wm0 -- and the problem stopped....
>
> I'm at a loss to explain this.  wm0 hasn't been touched since November,
> but the problem started much later than that.  I do know that when the
> port isn't connected to anything, I'll occasionally see messages like
>
> 	wm0: device timeout (txfree 4095 txsfree 63 txnext 56)

I get this device timeout when the wm interface is up, but has no carrier
(no cable connected or the switch is off where the card is connected too)
and samba is listening on this interface.
The device timeout happens every 6 hours and stops after I turn off samba.

But this is an 3.99.x kernel so I haven't reported the problem yet.

Where I can't say I have interactive problems.

Bernd