Subject: Re: NMI on Compaq 1850R
To: None <current-users@NetBSD.org>
From: Chris Ross <cross+netbsd@distal.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/18/2007 18:19:19
   In June of 2004, I posted to current-users about a problem I was
having getting NetBSD 2 (point something) installed on a Compaq
1850R.  I have a recollection of discussing this with someone else
from the list, off-list, and finding a really tiny kernel bug that
only affected some small class of memory systems.  PIIX3, perhaps?

   In any case, I was fairly certain that change, which allowed me to
run with more than 512MB of memory without getting an NMI fairly
easily during heavy disk activity, was committed to the trunk, and
pulled up into 3.  But, I'm having that same problem now installing
3.1 from the i386 distribution CD.  If I leave all 768MB of memory in
the machine, a "full install" won't complete.  I did a partial
install, and got it up and running, and hand-placed the other things
on it.  Now, I can reliably "cvs checkout" the entire netbsd src tree
with 512 MB of memory, but can't get through src/gnu if I have all
768MB in the machine.  So, I'm worried.

   Sadly, I've comitted a classic mistake.  In some effort to clean
out my old email, I seem to have accidentally deleted the email
conversation I had with the gentleman that worked out this problem,
and the solution to it.

   I'm hoping he's still on the list.  I suppose I could poke about
in the i386 MD code and see what happened in June-August of 2004,
but....

   If anyone can help me with this, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks.

                                          - Chris