Subject: Re: Problems while compiling -current
To: None <roguetr@roguewrt.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/11/2007 05:01:35
On Thu, 11 Jan 2007, roguetr@roguewrt.org wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2007 at 04:49:28PM -0800, Francisco Valladolid Hdez. wrote:
>>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Uhmmmmm!, I dodn't belive it, but I will check my
>> server for memory errors.
>
> This isn't reliable but quite often if it is memory it will fail
> in slightly different ways each time.

That depends!  In my case, the corrupted memory seems to have polluted
the file data cache with bad data (lots of 1-bit errors) that got
written back to the hard drive.  So on subsequent runs it kept running
into the corrupted source files.  Complaints about lots of normal
characters that suddenly turned into control characters were common).

> But I would also suggest a run through memtestplus anywho.

On a 2GB AMDx2 4600+ it only takes 20 minutes...  A worthwhile
investment of time, IMHO.