Subject: Re: Another motherboard question
To: Blair Sadewitz <blair.sadewitz@gmail.com>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@whooppee.com>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2007 17:46:43
On Mon, 8 Jan 2007, Blair Sadewitz wrote:

> I have had lots of strange problems like this fixed by disabling
> "legacy USB" in the BIOS. The most common one is "pckbc: command word
> write error", but ive solved other esoteric hardware problmes that
> way, too.  I am probably not correct, but it is easy and so worth the
> effort to test and eliminate.

OK, I found an old PS2 keyboard, so I disabled USB Legacy Mode in the
BIOS.  That didn't help.  Next, I disabled legacy mode _and_ removed
all remaining USB devices.

Booting at that point got further, but then it seems it couldn't find
any of the hard drives, not even the one I'd booted from!  It prompted
for a root device, and gave me choices of only "ex0", "halt", and
"reboot"!  I guess I should have suspected something when I had already
discovered that I had to do a hard power-down between (re)boot attempts;
warm reboots caused the BIOS not to find any drives, either!

I'm gonna try a different MoBo since this one seems to have more than
its share of "issues".  Anyone ever try a Elitegroup Computer Systems
(ECS) nFORCE4M-A before?

|   Paul Goyette   | PGP DSS Key fingerprint: |  E-mail addresses:   |
| Network Engineer | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 |  paul@whooppee.com   |
|                  | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette@juniper.net |