Subject: Re: Disabling a USB-device?
To: Johan Ihren <johani@johani.org>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>
List: current-users
Date: 01/08/2007 20:52:41
On Mon, Jan 08, 2007 at 03:18:02PM +0100, Johan Ihren wrote:

> In a new server I have some sort of remote management IPMI hardware
> that NetBSD doesn't know what to do with. This is basically ok, I
> wasn't expecting it to... The problem is that NetBSD seems to make
> some sort of wild guess that this unknown device is an umass0 and
> then things seriously deteriorate when NetBSD for some reason decides
> that the sd0a that presumably ought to exist inside the umass0 is the
> boot device.
>
> I realize that I can probably open up this box and remove the IPMI
> hardware, but I'd frankly rather leave it in place if possible
> because I *can* use this IPMI hardware from Linux...
>
> So my question becomes "how do I tell NetBSD to keep its fingers off
> this piece of hardware that it doesn't grok?"
>
> The other obvious question is whether anyone is working on support
> for the Peppercon IPMI h/w, as that would be even better in the long
> run.
>
> Regards,
>
> Johan
>
> Excerpts from a recent dmesg:
> umass0 at uhub4 port 7 configuration 1 interface 0
> umass0: Peppercon AG Multidevice, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2
> umass0: using SCSI over Bulk-Only
> scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 lun per target
> uhidev0 at uhub4 port 7 configuration 1 interface 1
> uhidev0: Peppercon AG Multidevice, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/0
> sd0 at scsibus0 target 0 lun 0: <PepperC, Virtual Disc 1, 0.01> disk
> removable
> ums0 at uhidev0
> ums0: X report 0x0022 not supported
> uhidev1 at uhub4 port 7 configuration 1 interface 2sd0: drive offline
>
> uhidev1: Peppercon AG Multidevice, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2, iclass 3/1
> ukbd0 at uhidev1: 8 modifier keys, 6 key codes
> wskbd1 at ukbd0 mux 1
> wskbd1: connecting to wsdisplay0
> wd0 at atabus0 drive 0: <WDC WD800JD-00MSA1>
> wd0: drive supports 16-sector PIO transfers, LBA48 addressing
> wd0: 76319 MB, 155061 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x
> 156301488 sectors
> wd0: 32-bit data port
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
> wd0(piixide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 6 (Ultra/133)
> (using DMA)

I have several boxes with this kind of remove management board; NetBSD
probing it as sd0 is indeed correct (it's the "remote boot media").
The real reason is why does it think this is the boot media. How are
you loading the kernel, and what is the real boot media ?

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>