Subject: Re: LFS and big files
To: Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 01/06/2007 09:20:42
On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 11:12:42 +0100
Geert Hendrickx <ghen@telenet.be> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 09:51:47AM +0000, David Laight wrote:
> > Surely you need to compile it for i386 32bit code - since it is a
> > standalone program.  This would have to be a cross-compile on a
> > system running netbsd amd64.
>
> The Makefile adds -m32 -march=i486, so a 32-bit binary is built.  It
> compiled without warnings on my amd64 box (after commenting out the
> ONLY_FOR_PLATFORM line).  file(1) says it's an "ELF 32-bit LSB
> executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (SYSV), statically linked,
> stripped".  I haven't tried booting it though, since this is a remote
> server.

I understand your caution -- unless I had a remote power control bar
or some such, I wouldn't install it, either.  But it is intended for
remote use -- note the serial console option and the ability to boot it
via either grub or the standard NetBSD boot loader.  (I'd building a
new server now, with memtestplus in the grub boot menu.)

And to answer Rhialto -- yes, it was just added in late October, after
the Q3 branch.