Subject: Re: USB problems
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
From: Jasper Wallace <jasper@pointless.net>
List: current-users
Date: 01/02/2007 14:31:16
On Fri, 29 Dec 2006, Jukka Marin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm running -current (i386) and having problems with USB and removable
> media.  Many attempts to use USB memory sticks or other USB mass storage
> (like a PDA with a SD card) fail and make NetBSD freeze or become unable
> to access any disks at all.
>
> Today, a had to copy a small file to a USB stick.  I inserted the stick,
> mounted it and was able to do ls -l on it.  Then I tried to cp this 64k
> file and the cp process got stuck.  After a few minutes, the machine
> froze completely (it may have paniced, I couldn't check).
>
> Last week, I was copying files to Treo 650 over USB and the cable
> probably got loose at the Treo's end (the connector design isn't too
> good).  NetBSD got upset about this and I was no longer able to access
> any disk devices, so I had to reboot.
>
> Running fsck takes a long time on a machine with ~1 TB of disk,
> especially when raidframe is also fixing parity at the same time.
> Not to mention all programs and tasks that were running - one crash
> can easily take 60 minutes or more to "fix".
>
> Should I try disabling ehci support to see if that helps or are the
> problems at some higher level?  Or am I the only one experiencing USB
> problems?  I don't use USB that much, but it seems I should not use
> it at all :(

I'm seeing the same thing (with 4.0_BETA, (not beta2, not had a chance to
upgrade yet)).

The same hardware works with win2k and different flash drives in different
sockets with different cables/hubs makes no difference.

I sometimes can coax umass Bulk transfer stalled messages or something like
that out of it, but i didn't take notes, i thought it was a hardware problem
(i've had problems in the past mixing usb 1.0 and 2.0 devices on an
unpowered usb2.0 hub that claims to be powered when it isn't).

The motherboard is an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe, (single cpu).

I'll try with a 4.0BETA_2 kernel when i've persuaded it to build.

--
[http://pointless.net/]                                   [0x2ECA0975]