Subject: USB problems
To: Current Users <current-users@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@embedtronics.fi>
List: current-users
Date: 12/29/2006 12:48:06
Hi,

I'm running -current (i386) and having problems with USB and removable
media.  Many attempts to use USB memory sticks or other USB mass storage
(like a PDA with a SD card) fail and make NetBSD freeze or become unable
to access any disks at all.

Today, a had to copy a small file to a USB stick.  I inserted the stick,
mounted it and was able to do ls -l on it.  Then I tried to cp this 64k
file and the cp process got stuck.  After a few minutes, the machine
froze completely (it may have paniced, I couldn't check).

Last week, I was copying files to Treo 650 over USB and the cable
probably got loose at the Treo's end (the connector design isn't too
good).  NetBSD got upset about this and I was no longer able to access
any disk devices, so I had to reboot.

Running fsck takes a long time on a machine with ~1 TB of disk,
especially when raidframe is also fixing parity at the same time.
Not to mention all programs and tasks that were running - one crash
can easily take 60 minutes or more to "fix".

Should I try disabling ehci support to see if that helps or are the
problems at some higher level?  Or am I the only one experiencing USB
problems?  I don't use USB that much, but it seems I should not use
it at all :(

  -jm