Subject: boot problems on 4.0beta2 installation
To: None <current-users@netbsd.org>
From: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@cs.columbia.edu>
List: current-users
Date: 12/24/2006 21:11:39
I just installed 4.0beta2 on a new machine.  (I modified the INSTALL
kernel by commenting out the SCSI disks, to make things fit...)

There's something wrong with the mbr boot, though.  It displays both
choices, waits the requisite 10 seconds, then says "Error 3", as if it
doesn't have a default boot partition.  (I'm 99% certain I did specify
one...)  If I type '1', it does boot NetBSD.  How do I fix this?  I've
reread fdisk(8) many times, obviously missing something.  I haven't yet
tried installboot, but I assume that that's not the problem since it
does boot if I type '1'.