Subject: Re: LFS panic
To: Eric Haszlakiewicz <erh@nimenees.com>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: current-users
Date: 12/03/2006 14:15:43
On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 12:49:46PM -0600, Eric Haszlakiewicz wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 06:08:19PM +0100, Tobias Nygren wrote:
> > When you unmounted the ffs filesystem the superblocks got updated,
> > causing some random corruption on the LFS filesystem.
> > I wouldn't expect any operating system to deal with such abuse
> > gracefully ;)
>
> 	I would, but maybe that's asking a lot.  If the damage is limited to
> the superblock it seems like the kernel should be able to do a few sanity
> checks to at least avoid getting a fault.

There's no guarantee that the damage is limited to "the superblock" of
course: the unmount of the FFS will have written back all pending data.
And there is no reason to assume that even the FFS metadata, when written
back to a different filesystem, will happen to trash _only_ one convenient
part of the metadata of that other filesystem...

--
Thor Lancelot Simon	                                     tls@rek.tjls.com
  "The liberties...lose much of their value whenever those who have greater